Baked Spanish Rice
1 hr 15 min
Spanish rice recipe from THUG KITCHEN
Makes enough for 4 to 6 as a side or 8 burrito fillings.
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups long-grain brown rice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive or grapeseed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup corn kernels – frozen is fine
- 1 cup green peas – frozen is fine
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grab a 9×13 inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the onion, tomatoes, garlic, jalapeno, and tomato paste and let it run in the blender for about 30 seconds. Pour that into a medium saucepan, mix in the broth, and let it come to a simmer over medium heat.
- While the tomato mixture is heating up, spread the rice over the bottom of the baking dish and drizzle the oil and salt over the top.
- When the broth mixture is at a gentle simmer, pour it over the rice, stir it up so everything is mixed, then cover tightly with foil and put in the oven. Let this bake for 1 hour. Try not to check on it because every time you do you’ll be letting out precious steam and your rice will be undercooked. Just keep the oven at 375 and you’re all good.
- After 1 hour, pull out the baking dish and fluff the rice around with a fork so everything is mixed back in. If the rice isn’t all the way cooked, add another 1/4 cup broth or water, cover, and bake it for another 10 minutes or so. Fold in the corn, peas, lime juice and cilantro and mix well. Add a pinch more sea salt if you need it.
Serve right away, and enjoy!
A great make ahead meal for you and your whole family, this Spanish rice recipe is sure to please! Make it tonight and definitely pick up a copy of the THUG KITCHEN cookbook.